Monday, August 9, 2010

Day 5 Answer Christopher Johnson




I'm not reading the book Persepolis but I can most definitely relate to the character defending her rights as a woman. Many times in my life I've been discriminated against because of my sexual orientation and I've had to stand up for myself to prove that I'm not an easy target. During my junior year in high school someone spread a rumor that I was having sex with people in public restrooms but of course this was completely false and of course I was pissed. When I confronted the boy about the rumor he proceeded to attempt to intimidate me and of course this resulted in me hauling off and punching the kid in the face. I do not condone violence in any way, shape or fashion and in truth I think its dumb to fight but sometimes you have to stand up for yourself so people will know you mean business. Junior year in high school was pretty rough for me and alot of things happened but after that situation I had no more problems. In True Notebooks the young men in jail always find themselves having to defend themselves. For example in the creative writing class Francisco Javier is the self proclaimed leader of the group but when Nathaniel Long joins he must flex his muscle in order to keep in his title. "Read it."(82) is what he says to Jimmy when it came time to share because he wanted Nathaniel to know that he was in charge. He takes this writing class seriously and refuses to allow Nathaniel to make a mockery of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment