Monday, August 9, 2010

Response to Arianna's post - Skyler Kelly


I've had to stand up for several things in my life but one situation that really stood out was when I had an adult come up to me and tell me that he was in charge and that he had full control over me. I stated that I was a legal adult and I had the same rights that he did to some extent. Referring back to the quote, Marjane's mother says that she is going to stand up for what she believed was right. This is very similar to my situation because I felt like the man was taking advantage of me which is exactly what it was like for the women in Iran during that time period. I felt great after expressing my thoughts about my rights to the man. At first he was speechless because he knew that he was completely wrong and he didn’t expect me to react the way that I did. Surprisingly, I expected him to go on and endless rant stating why he thought he had more rights than I did, but he took my words into consideration. I felt like this was a positive outcome because not once in my life have I ever spoken out against an adult to find out that I was right. If the all of women in Iran spoke out for their rights it may seem like a bad idea, but eventually the government would have to consider changing the law making men and women equal. I am proud of myself for doing this and anyone with the courage to stand up for their rights should feel the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment