Monday, August 9, 2010

Day 5: Answer to Arianna King (Jorgina Kelly)


It is nothing major but one time I had to clean the kitchen for a whole week. Usually my sisters and I take turns everyday cleaning each part of the house but this one week I had to clean up for the whole week. If we don’t clean up when we are suppose to then we have to clean up the kitchen for a whole week. When my mother has company over, play cards and drink, then it is an exception that my sisters and I can wait until the next day to clean the kitchen because most likely we will fall asleep before they do. So on a Friday; I had to clean up that day. I went out to my friend’s house and came in after my mother’s company had left and went straight to sleep. The next morning, it was my little sister turn to clean up and she felt that since the dishes was left over from last night then I should clean them up. We tried to work it out amongst ourselves so that our mother would not have to get involved. Somehow she heard us arguing and told us to come here. I explained the situation; she listened and made me clean the kitchen for a week because I could have cleaned the kitchen before I went to bed that night. I was mad to the point where I cried because my mother and everybody in my house knows that my little sister is lazy and tries to get out of any cleaning she can but I also understood why I was cleaning for the next week. In the novel True Notebooks, the juveniles defend themselves by writing on paper. “You write about the negative, then. If you can write about it, you get it out in the open. It eases the pressure,” says the guard. Jimmy states, “It doesn’t change the reality, though. You’re still stuck in your fucked-up life. Nothing changes.”(p.51) I defend myself by actually getting up and saying something but in some way or form we actually both get to the process of defending ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment