Monday, August 9, 2010

Day 5 Answer Dacia Hill


I am An African American woman. In my life there have been many times where I had to defend myself I failed sometimes but I never stopped trying. Although I felt like I was living in a shell I was alone but I realize that only made me stronger in the end. A few years ago I went to visit a small town with my father and his wife. A woman I was told that the books I read (adventure novels) were point less. They also felt my race was a useless one. How do I begin to tell you have worthless I began to feel? At first I didn't know what to say. Should I leave, I was lost in her words. I then told her that I was a wonderful smart open minded girl and there is she could do to stop me from living my dreams as a proud Black woman. She was wrong. Like in Persepolis the nun told the parents "your children have no respect for anything ...The basis of education (98)" She told me I was disrespectful. I stated to her that respect is earned and at this point she will never have it from me. Then I left. When I told my father he responded: “I went through the same types of problems” nothing else. I wanted him to go back and defend me also but no luck it’s been 2 years since I last visited him. I never forgot that day. I truly felt proud of myself and my race because I did it on my own I never needed my fathers help. I knew who I was and I was okay with it and I still am. That day Just like Marjane I learned no one can make you feel inferior unless you let them. Words are sometimes just ignorance displayed by the ignorant.

No comments:

Post a Comment