Monday, August 16, 2010

Day 9, Response to Dacia: Kiarah Lazo


I have never been in the situation where I was ashamed to claim my very own culture. To think about it, why would someone be so ashamed of who they are or where they’re from? Being you is the best part of life, and to show everyone that you’re being real is great. Having to be ashamed of your culture is something I wouldn’t do. I love where I’m from and what was passed down from generations, such as traditions. There is one thing I would like to point out, which is the music that runs in my culture. Some of the Spanish music I dislike A LOT but I wouldn’t be so ashamed to deny my culture. There are people who do like that type of music and so therefore I shouldn’t judge. That also goes for the way my culture dresses. I’m from Chicago, but part of my family is from Mexico and in different parts of Mexico there are certain dress codes they go by. The men would wear a sombrero, button up dress shirt, jeans with the belt holding them up to his stomach and I can’t forget the cowboy boots. Some woman might wear somewhat the same but then again, I don’t dress like that. I’m proud of where I’m from and I wouldn’t ever be ashamed of where I’m from. I can agree some folks might look or sound a bit goofy but I can’t complain because my ancestors looked or sounded that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment